Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, June 17, 2013

Couponing!!!

Couponing - Verb - Act of using coupons

So I have been a big couponer for a while, if that's would you could call us. No I am not all extreme couponing or anything but it does save lots of money.

There are many types of coupons now a days that will help in the long run. As a young adult living on my own for the first time this is going to help save alot of money in the long run. Pennies add up.

  1. Print / Manufacture Coupons - Typically come in newspapers on Sundays or are given online/ mail by the manufacture
  2. Store Coupons - Most stores that offer a loyalty program offer store coupons. These can be anything from $5.00 off in Meat to $$ off your grocery bill. These are usually only good in that particular store. These are usually given at register when you check out or mailed to you. 
  3. Instant Coupons - These are similar to Manufacture coupons but are usually found stuck on the product it's self. 
  4. Digital Coupons - Once again usually available with stores that have a Loyalty Program. You can go online or go to the app and add coupons to your loyalty card that will automatically apply at the register. This is great if you tend to forget coupons at home, are "too busy" to mess with print coupons, or forget to give them to cashier when checking out. They don't always get you the best savings but its a start. 
There are many more but these are the ones I encounter the most. 

The key to couponing is organization! Everyone will organize differently as according to their needs and purpose. I started with a pendaflex pocket file and am now in a binder. 



Now my binder is actually a 3-ring zipper portfolio. But it offers everything I will need to coupon in one handy place. As someone on the go who is occasionally using public transportation that is a plus! I don't want my coupons I spent hrs cutting to fall all over the bus. My mother uses just a plain 3 ring binder with a zipper pouch in the front. The bonus of the portfolio is that it usually has a handle of some sorts for easy carrying along with a pad of paper. Perfect for making a list on the go. 

Now there are many ways to organize your coupons. I have mine organized by categories such as Dairy, Baking, Box Goods, Health & Beauty, Paper Products, Cleaning Supplies, Diet Foods, Pet Items ect. You will customize each category as you see fit.If you are not sure do a store walk through and make a tab for each aisle with a guide to what is on that aisle. You can usually get a store lay out from the store manager as well. I prefer the categories in case I go to a store that's not my normal. 

I used basic Index Dividers from the local supply store in my binder along with Baseball Card Holders. These both can be purchased at places like Target & Walmart. The Large Index Dividers work best but to make sure I always pick up a pack of "filler"(baseball card holders) and hold them under the dividers. If I can see the cards through the tabs they wont be seen in the binder. If all I see are tabs then they will work. The baseball card holders work great for coupons. Most fit perfectly and they are easy to get in & out. With 6 different coupons to a page it is easy to view, quick to look through and functional. Most office supply stores carry coupon binders and holders but the pricing is some times 3x what these basic school supplies cost. 

You will notice in the pictures below I most of my coupon supplies with me including:
  • Reading Glasses
  • Sharpie & Pen (Ad Marking & List Making
  • Ads
  • Scissors (small & Med)
  • Binder Clips.
If you don't have a portfolio and want to start small grab a school supply zipper pouch during the back to school season for usually a $1.00. You can also find 3-ring binders, index dividers & scissors for cheap during this time. 





If you have any questions on how to get started comment below or message me :)

Happy Couponing!

No comments:

Post a Comment